Sunday, November 28, 2010

The wonders of snail-mail or the romanticism of a handwritten letter

I have a friend who recently shipped out for Marine Basic Training. I recently received a letter from him. I got immediately to reading in spite of all other "things-to-do" I had pending. He is doing well, and managing at staying out of the radar of bad things in training. He's a good Marine. I felt more connected and a greater sense of urgency and importance from that handwritten letter than I recall feeling from reading e-mails when I was over seas. A handwritten letter is far more substantial, literally, than a digital e-mail. He commented on how letters help "soothe the soul-burn" and to a degree being in the military does burn the soul. At least in Basic Training, it does. It makes you a harder person, and you are able to deal with more. I look forward to writing more letters to my friend. I am sure he will be happy to feel a little more connected to the world outside the garrison.

No comments: