Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This is important

I have been following the story for a while now, and have made this a topic of discussion for my students. SSG Salvatore Giunta will be awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest military award one can earn, ever. They had an interview with him and some of his platoon members on 60 Minutes. I think what SSG Giunta did is beyond admirable. It is beyond words. He charged through and into enemy fire to prevent a friend and fellow soldier from being taken by enemy forces. There is a moment near the end of the interview where he learns a little more about the details of the night where he gets emotional. At that point in time I got emotional. While I am by no means anything worthy of consideration for any medal, having served, gone overseas and come back, I too feel uncomfortable when people thank me for my service. I don't want to diminish their gratitude, and know that there are many people far more talented and worthy of gratitude than me (Like SSG Giunta). I am struck by his humility. I think it is a rare and often un-admired virtue. This will not stop me from treating him to lunch if I ever run into Sal somewhere/anywhere in the world.

2 comments:

SocialMama said...

Check out SSG Giunta's microsite at www.army.mil/medalofhonor/giunta to learn more about his battle, view the battlescape of where the ambush occurred and hear interviews from those who fought beside him that night.

Edgar said...

Thank you for the link!