Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Tall Order... and a cool idea

I have been working on focusing my students in learning a little bit about Veteran's Day instead of doing the tired turkey curriculum most elementary art teachers usually push for November. I will state I am not criticizing elementary school teachers for teaching Thanksgiving in November, it is the dominant holiday. My students learned about several different veterans, and my shortcomings fall in how much they learned about each veteran. The stars of the class are Paul Reickhoff, founder of IAVA; and Salvatore Giunta, the first living recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor since Vietnam War. Other veterans include Tammy Duckworth, Dustin Hunter, Matthew Bogdanos, Pat Tillman, and Bryan Anderson. The Assistant Principal at the school where I teach thought it would be a great idea if I were to get in touch with the living veterans, or family members of the deceased veterans to send them copies of the drawings the students are making. I was a little bit stunned when she made this recommendation. I think my students are progressing splendidly in in their drawings. It is a challenge to draw a portrait with little or no drawing experience. However, I do ask my students to try their best. I will push them, sometime to the point where they get angry at me, but the push is worthwhile. But I digress. The idea of getting in touch with all these people, and sending them a series of images to several veterans who have had some manner of media coverage at some point in their lives... makes me a little uncomfortable. It would not be the probable rejection that scares me, but the idea that one or more of them take interest and decide they want to visit my class. I find this prospect highly improbable, but regardless of the improbability, intimidatingly daunting. Art

No comments: