Sunday, September 19, 2010

Frenetic Art Making Patterns, or I suck at painting Orchids

My art making can best be described as a frenetic, jump start/stalling, hectic making. I will have the sudden irresistible urge to make something or just get an idea on paper or canvas. When I do, the process seems to flow so smoothly and almost issue and hassle free. With this in mind, I have a canvas panel I have been working on for a while. I was doing some experiments with layering, stenciling, and stamping. Besides the fact that I think I am in love with stamping, and stenciling, I was finally happy with the ground I established for the most part. It is a bad imitation of one of those faux prints you find at Bed Bath & Beyond. It is so tacky and cliche, and I can't really help but like how it looks. In my art making process, I determined that it needed something soft and organic to counter all the hard-edged lines. The prints and stamps have these lovely baroque style curves, but the edges are so clean. After looking through some images of flowers, I determined Phalenopsis Orchids were the way to go. I started setting down the forms for the petals and the under painting for all the lines, and I have come to the determination that I suck at painting orchids. I'm so out of practice at painting flowers, but I suppose that being out of practice implies that there has been practice prior to this attempt at painting orchids. I have never painted orchids before. i think I might have to go with a different approach with this endeavor tomorrow morning.

No comments: